"Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honours God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God...and you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. Teach the truth so that your teaching can’t be criticised."
Christian mentoring is a commandment from God according to scriptures. It is a dynamic, intentional and voluntary relationship of trust that seeks to identify and promote the work of God's spirit in the lives of people, assisting them to access God's resources for their growth and strength in spirituality, character, thinking and service. Unfortunately due to our busy, heavily scheduled lifestyles many older women do not have the time to obey this commandment, or are not available to spend adequate time with younger women. The economic situation of the country, which requires double income for most families to survive, has caused many younger women on the other hand to embrace jobs, which keep them very busy, leaving no room for them to spend time with older women who could impact their lives positively. After working closely with women for over a decade, the visionary of the CVEF mentoring initiative has identified formal individual mentoring of women as a necessary tool to bridge the lacunae in birthing women as change agents, which the church and other forms of formal education have not been able to adequately deliver.
Chosen Vessels Empowerment Foundation(CVEF)is a faith based Non-Governmental organisation established to offer divine nourishment, encourage spiritual growth and equip for life.CVEF provides support and fellowship to younger women in different works of life, bringing them to the higher virtues and knowledge of physical and spiritual things through Mentoring, Empowerment and Awareness. CVEF bridges the gap in Christian mentoring through its formal mentoring programme for women.
The CVEF mentoring programme offers younger women from 20 years onwards the opportunity to be mentored by older Christian women from different works of life, denominations and professions. These women share the kingdom purpose of impacting the lives of others intentionally by sharing the knowledge and skills they have already obtained, are working to obtain and have right at their fingertips, in addition to living a holy life. They share their personal experiences, successes and pitfalls, thus empowering others to fulfil their purpose in life and consequently their destinies.It is about commitment, personal growth and development. it's more about learning than power.
The CVEF Mentoring Schedule
CVEF currently runs two centers (Lagos Island and Lagos mainland) with two cohorts of mentoring per annum. Each cohort commences with group mentoring sessions, with the first cohort running from January - March while the second cohort runs from June - July. Each group mentoring session ends with a retreat, which is flexible and dependent on the mentees and mentors availability to attend.
• Each mentoring cohort commences with a weekly group mentoring session for eight weeks. Mentors and Mentees attend together each week to explore, share and discuss set themes and topics, and end with prayers. This takes place at the mentoring venue for a maximum of 2 hours. This timing is flexible and dependent on the group of Mentors and Mentees.
• Mentors also co-facilitate and are involved in discussions at each group mentoring session.
• Following the group eight weeks sessions, mentoring matches with Mentees are put in place by CVEF for a one -to-one mentoring relationship, which is expected to last between 6-8 months. Both mentor and Mentee are expected to commit to this relationship.
• CVEF has put in place a structure to support both the mentor and mentee for the duration of the mentoring programme. The mentoring relationship is formally monitored by CVEF and the monitoring and evaluation process provide formal opportunities for both mentors and mentees to give us feedback on the programme and relationship.
• Mentoring meetings between mentor and mentee are also on a mutually agreed schedule. At the end of the formal mentoring programme, the relationship can evolve into an informal one if both parties are in agreement.
THE CVEF MENTOR
CVEF Mentors are women who arefilled with wisdom, mature in faith and consistent in godly conduct. They have been trained as mentors and arewilling to listen, share skills, and provide a positive perspective for life experiences. They offer a spiritually sound, safe and fun friendship to the Mentees andinvest in the lives of the Mentees through encouragement, guidance, listening, laughing and loving. They aim to form a strong and lasting relationship that is a source of support, growth and strength.
THE CVEF MENTOR:
• Identifies and promotes the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the mentee
• Facilitates the mentee’s growth by sharing resources and networks
• Challenges the mentee to move beyond his or her comfort zone
• Creates a safe learning environment for taking risks and
• Focuses on the mentee’s total development
The Mentoring programme offers our mentors the opportunity of giving back something, by providing positive guidance in another's personal development. They experience the personal satisfaction of helping someone else discover and reach their potential. The Mentoring programme also provides them the opportunity to enhance or expand their skills base (e.g. leadership or communication skills) and gives them the indirect vehicle for growth and maturity as they embrace the task of being responsible for another.
THE CVEF MENTEE
Our Mentees are women who welcome the insight and knowledge of a more mature woman. They are women who desireto develop certain skills and/or strengths for their personal and spiritual growth. They are willing to learn from a women who have dealt with the struggles they now face.
OUR SELECTION PROCESS
• For each mentoring cohort, CVEF sources for recommendations through its Mentors, ex-Mentees, Ministers of the gospel, Pastor's of churches and Friends of CVEF and the general public through social media.
• Interested individuals are requested to send in a formal 'letter of interest' to CVEF and our Mentees for each cohort are prayerfully selected from the applications we receive.
• The CVEF mentoring programme is a fully non-profit programme and sponsored by the generosity of Friends of the ministry, including the Mentors. Mentees only pay a minimal registration fee per cohort.
What our Mentees are saying...
"Going through the mentoring programme was not a waste of time. It was indeed an eye opener for me in my marriage,business and every other area of my life. The first day of the meeting was very hectic for me and I considered pulling out but, I thank God I didn't. I set 3 goals for my one-on-one mentoring and to the glory of God, I make bold to say I achieved every one of them. The mentoring programme has indeed helped me to be able to impact lives and broaden my skills and knowledge" - T. Omosaiye
" The CVEF mentoring programme has been of great benefit to me, especially in the area of closeness with my mentor, I feel comfortable enough to share and discuss anything with her knowing that it's confidential" - T. Julius
"This programme has made me change my ideology on managing situations and I have worked on my attitude. I now have a renewal of focus and I'm focused on self-discoveries. I am encouraged."- Victoria
"My personal experience was turned into testimonies. I have reinforced what I know and exercised the Holy Spirit within me" - Eugenia
"As a pioneer Mentee of Chosen Vessels Empowerment Foundation mentoring programme, I went into the programme not knowing what to expect but my experience was more than i can really explain. I learnt a lot about my personality, my value and worth. By the end of the first session I knew I was in for a life changing experience. I realised that nothing or no one can ever take away my value. I had gone through life crushed and battered and I thought I had lost it all and that there was no hope until I learnt otherwise. It was an eye opener for me. All the other group sessions were equally liberating and revealing. At the one-on-one sessions, I was able to dig deep for the first time in my life into my heart and touch on issues I had suppressed and they were eating me up. My mentor helped me to see things differently, emotional issues I never knew I had, came to the surface, I was shocked to know that i had so much baggage. Today by the grace of God through the help of my mentor I am dealing with my issues, its great to always have someone you can talk to. Now I am working on improving myself, upgrading my education and vision. CVEF has given me HOPE. I now know that my dreams and vision can still be a reality. God brought me to CVEF to prepare me for my future. I want to say a big thank you to all the wonderful women who are a part of this great life changing programme, may God richly reward you, I love you all. ". - Stephanie I. Igho
"The feedback from my mentor has been very useful and insightful, I am really learning a great deal" - Ayinde A.
The mentoring programme helped me deal with two major issues, my marriage and personal development. My mentor's openness and practical attitude helped me to come to terms with what I needed to do in these two areas. I have learnt how not to only be spiritual but to pay attention to the physical and emotional aspects as well. I have let down the emotional baggage I have carried around for so long and trusting God each day. I can boldly say that my life has been impacted positively during this period. - I. Asaju
"The programme has helped me focus more on my Christian walk. I have learnt to make the Word of God my yardstick for every of my endeavour.This has helped me in my relationship with God and others" - Bukola